Thursday 6 December 2012

Take 10 with Griffin McMaster

Following the news of his injury replacement deal with the Wellington Phoenix, we decided to catch up on a blast from the past in former Roar goalkeeper Griffin McMaster. Since leaving the Roar Griffin has been successfully plying his trade in the VPL winning keeper of the year last season. 


Congratulations on your short term deal with the Phoenix, how did it come about?.

It came out of the blue. I received a phone call from an agent (Tony Belica) about the prospect of going to the club. I put my hand up and was very keen to exploit the option.

 As you said on your twitter page you were getting ready for Stereosonic Music Festival any regrets about not being able to go to that?.

Not really. I ended up getting a friend to sell the ticket for me. It would’ve been fun however in my realm football comes first. Jumping at the opportunity to get back into the A-League was far more important. (GM)

Its your second stint with the A-League club can you give all of us an insight into the club - we dont seem to hear that much about them here in Australia?. (inside)

It’s a club that goes under the radar big-time unless of course the club is winning games and is in finals contention. It was nice of Ricky Herbert to think of me again. I had a stint in 2010 and enjoyed my time there. Not much has changed since I was their last time. They train out at Newtown training complex. Chris Greenacre is the assistant coach – it’s his first year and he’s been superb in the role to date. Jonathon Gould is a very good keeper coach and is also a assistant coach. I’ve learnt a lot off him in the last week or so and in my last spell with the club. The club also fields a team in the NZ national league which is a great idea. It gives players who aren’t playing regular first team football a chance to get game time in the reserves. Is also benefits the youth players in their development. (GM)

Ricky Herbert has done a fantastic job with the Phoenix - do you think hes a little underrated as a coach?. (inside)

Ricky Herbert in my opinion has always been highly rated as a coach and with what he’s got to work with in terms of resources and so forth he does a fantastic job. He’s a great man manager and also likes to have a laugh and put a smile on someone’s face. He’s got a high level of presence and everybody in the dressing room gives him the respect he deserves. (GM)

 You are seen to be a fan favourite with the Yellow fever, they seem to be a very active and influential supporter group as a player can you describe the impact they have on the squad?. (inside)

To be honest I haven’t had much to do with the Yellow Fever and it would be nice to meet some of the supporters and get a feel for their passion for the club. It’s always nice to have the supporters on your side and not on top of you giving you stick. They are the hard-core element of the club and it’s great to have a high level of passion through the gates every home match. (GM)

They are partly responsible for finding Marco Rojas so they know what they are doing. (inside)

Well that’s good sign, I hope they can help unearth some more talent into the Phoenix. (GM)

 Can you compare the Phoenix with your first club Brisbane Roar?. (inside)

I enjoyed my time at Brisbane. Gold Coast was home for me and the fit personally was great, being a Queenslander I was proud to wear the shirt. I was their when Frank Farina was in charge and allowed the time for me to develop my skills at the club and I got my opportunities. I was at Brisbane when we went to two preliminary finals. It was a real shame we couldn’t go one better and get an appearance in a grand final. Phoenix has been a club with a bit transition with the old owner having to hand the license in and new owners coming into the club. The new owners are all have businesses in Wellington which goes to show the passion for the city and I hope they can help grow the brand. (GM)

Were you disappointed to not stay on with the Roar, being a Queensland boy and all?. (inside)

I had a lot to offer for Brisbane however things didn’t end up the way I would have liked. I’ve put it all behind me, it wasn’t meant to be. Leaving Brisbane then gave me an opportunity to move to Melbourne. I certainly haven’t regretted that. I’ve loved my time there that’s for sure. (GM)



 Following your release from the roar you joined VPL club Oakleigh Cannons, there has been some great players to come from the VPL can you describe the quality of the competition. (inside)

There’s plenty of players going around in the VPL that are good enough to hold a spot in the A-League. There are a tonne of players that have played VPL then gone onto the A-League. The VPL and the NSWPL are the second best tier football in Australia. Most teams train 3 times per week and you cannot underestimate the level of the players abilities. (GM)

You were named VPL keeper of the year last year will you return their if no A - League contract eventuates?. (inside)

I will keep playing and I’m only 29. That age for a keeper is pretty good and I still have life span left provided I look after my body in which case I will. Coming from A-League to VPL can always turn a players motivation levels to very low, in fact it’s done the opposite for me. Its driven me and given me more hunger to perform in the VPL and try to get an opportunity to get back into the A-League. (GM)

You played in the Brisbane competition can you campare the two?. (inside)

It’s quite obvious the VPL is better than the BPL. The VPL has more money, more competitive sides and the ethnic base in Melbourne is more hard core. With more money, businesses like to sponsor clubs and bring in quality. People in Melbourne are very passionate about their sport and have a big attachment to their club. For example many Greeks sponsor clubs and really want to win. They’ll go to great lengths to do that. (GM)

What do you think the BPL needs to do to improved their standard?. (inside)

There are a lot of factors. It’s all comparable by population. Melbourne has 4 million people, Sydney 4.5 million, Brisbane about 2 million. In my mlast point with more money more sponsors come on board etc etc. There’s not enough hardcore ethnics to drive the game in Brisbane and take it to new levels. The competition has been reformed again with this new APL – 12 teams around Queensland. Im not privy to a lot of information but you have Brisbane Premier League as well. This only drains the talent in this competition and will be valued as a second tier competition. One idea could be double up fixtures at one venue, somehow the clubs can share the gate takings and this could give the crowds a good spike and give more exposure to the league. (GM)

Australia is known for producing good goalkeepers do you yourself have a idea as to why that is the case?. (inside)

It’s quite obvious that Australians produce great athletes and goalkeeping is a culmination of applying all athletic attributes in one position. Jumping, running, diving, catching, agility etc etc. Also with the two dominated sports such as League and AFL also play a big part also. I think Australia will still produce high level goalkeepers in time to come. (GM)

 Have/would you consider trying your hand overseas?. (inside)

Its not an easy market for me. I hold an AUS passport which can limit you. Asia is one place but the Asian countries don’t go for keepers, normally they go for other positions. Europe is an option but with lean visa restrictions such as Belgian or Holland. The best market for me is A-League and I have to work hard to get into the competition. (GM)

 Your grandfather was a wallaby and your dad played rugby league, why not follow in their footsteps?. (inside)

It’s an unusual one. They loved their League/Union, goalkeeping is a position I love to play and have enjoyed it since. (GM)

You have done some guest writing for Mfootball.com.au is this a post football career move for you?. (inside)

I hope to. I’m studying communications. I’ve enquired at a few radio stations – ABC and SEN about doing commentary or comment on football programs in the A-League and haven’t really heard back from them. It’s something that I’m really interested in. My grandfather was on channel 9’s wrestling back in the day and my old mans a comedian. So the entertainment industry runs through my blood. (GM)

 In three years time where do you want to be in football?. (inside)

Definitely playing professional football. A-League is my best radar. (GM)

Everyone here at inside would like to thank Griffin for taking the time to answer our questions. Good luck Griff with your future A - League ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment