Tuesday 3 December 2013

ON THE COUCH WITH JACOB TIMPANO.

Jacob Timpano was once touted, and widely tipped, to be one of Australian Football's brightest future prospects.With a career spanning back to the old NSL (National Soccer League) days, his career highlights include stints at Woolongong Wolves, Sydney FC and the now defunct North Queensland Fury FC. Although injuries and club financial troubles curtailed this promising career, Timpano has found a new lease on life as he embarks on a new journey, which aims at bringing the game of Football to young kids. Inside the Box FC caught up with the former Olyroo defender to chat about his life in and out of Football and what he's been up to as of late.





You were fortunate enough to be part of the inaugural A-League season, tell us what it was like, how did u get noticed?

It was a privilege to be part of the first ever A-League season. I played in the old NSL as a youngster before it died and there was a big question mark as to whether and when National League football will become alive again, so it was special to be involved once it started.
I was in the Young Socceroo side preparing for the 2005 youth world cup while the A-League was being put together and Ian Crook who was in charge of recruiting players for Sydney FC was actually assisting Ange Postecoglou with our aussie team. With Crooky involved with our squad he offered me a deal with Sydney and it turned perfect by going on to win the inaugural A-league.

Did you know what to expect?


I was only 18-19 when it all began so I was a little unsure of what to expect having not been involved in a professional club set up. I had played in the National League with the Wollongong Wolves but we were only part time. Once we started signing players like Steve Corica, David Zdrilic, Ufuk Talay and of course Dwight Yorke, I had an idea I was going to be involved with something special.

What was it like to have Dwight Yorke in your team?


I grew up watching him bang in goals for Man United so it was obviously unreal to be in the same change room as him. He was a top pro and awesome to have in the team both on and off the field. On the pitch he was a great leader and an unbelievable player.
I’ve been fortunate to play alongside some legends like him, Kazu, Juniho and later on Robbie Fowler at Fury. All have been great blokes.

Looking back then did you ever think it would turn into what it is today?


With Football being the most popular sport in the World, I always thought eventually it had to grow and compete with the AFL and Rugby League and Union. It has just gone from strength to strength and by attracting marquee players back then and still now I think has definitely helped it become what it is today.

You had a great first season with the sky blues winning the championship with you individually receiving many accolades including the next big thing, you must've felt that the world was at your feet?


It was amazing winning the first ever A-League and playing a big part in it. Everything was going right for me, leading up to the A-league I had captained the young Socceroos in the 2005 world youth cup, I then went on to play regularly all the first season, won the title, and then was the captain of the Olyroo squad aiming to qualify for the 2008 Olympics. I don’t think I really looked at it as having the world at my feet, I was just happy to be doing what I love and doing well. I think luck plays a big part in football and unfortunately luck didn’t go my way and injuries started to creep in.  

We see a lot of young players getting hyped up these days what's your take on these sorts of things, is it reckless to label a young player the next big thing ?


I don’t think it is reckless, I think people just need to be aware that until a player has actually really established himself that’s when you will have more an idea of where a player can end up. A lot of things can go wrong in football, injuries, illness, going off the rails and other issues can ruin a career very quickly.

The next season started a horrible run of injuries for you which ultimately lead to your exit from Sydney was it hard to leave the Sky Blues?


I had been at Sydney since season one and apart from the first year I spent a lot of time on the sidelines with injury. It was difficult to leave but I was offered a 2 year contract at Fury and I was looking for a fresh start so NQ was a good option. It was sort of going into the unknown but my good Wollongong mates Justin Pasfield and Brendon Santalab had also agreed to go up there so we were all looking forward to something different. Life in Townsville as a footballer or person in general was awesome. From great weather and great people along with the relaxed lifestyle made it a special experience. Specifically as a footballer it was great also, Townsville is a very small town and they love sport up there. All the players were welcomed with open arms and as an athlete along with the footy and basketball boys we got looked after very well. Coming from Wollongong which is similar, I loved being part of the small community and made some friends for life. 

Can you compare the two clubs as you were both there in their first season of existence?

Pretty incomparable especially in terms of location - big city to small town so it obviously was going to be a smaller club than Sydney FC. Training Facilities and stuff like that was probably better than what we had a Sydney Fc and the stadium was great. Different pressure than playing with Sydney and we had less crowd support up there. Both had huge Marquee men in its first year, Fowler and Yorke. It’s very much so a rugby league town but as time went on the locals got heavily behind us as Queenslanders are passionate and love their sport. So there’s just a few comparisons.


You didn't see much game time up north do you feel you were hard done by?


Again I struggled with injury early on in the preseason and that put me behind the 8 ball. Unfortunately we didn’t have a youth team up there so once I was ok it was very hard to get match time and be ready to go for first team football. At the end of the season I got loaned out and played for the NQ Razorbacks in the QLD state league and started to get match practice and fitness back ready to go for my second next season at Fury. After the first season though Fury was left to be run by FFA and all players contracts held with the previous owner were cancelled. I wasn’t re-signed and unfortunately for me I didn’t get the chance to spend my second season there.

Where did it all go wrong for the Fury?


I’m not too sure. Probably financially is was not backed enough with sponsors etc which eventually lead to the club losing their license.

Did they deserve to lose their license?


I don’t think they deserved to lose their license but at the end of the day if there is no backers and not enough money to run a club there’s no choice I suppose.

In your opinion is there still a chance for A-League football to return to Townsville?


Definitely. I think one day it can return to Townsville. It’s a great town and as I’ve mentioned they love their sport. We were getting crowds of in-between 5 and10 000 which is more or equal to what teams are getting now so I think the support would be there and it would only grow.

Let's move onto where you are playing now, back in your hometown of Wollongong with South Coast Wolves, it must feel good to be home?


Of course it’s good being home playing for my home town. I played my juniors here and went on to make my NSL debut for wolves when I was 16 so it’s always been close to me. I would still love to be playing professionally but very much enjoying playing here at home.

What's the level of the nswpl these days, how far the gap between it and the A league?


It is a good standard and a good stepping stone for players to move on to A-League as we’ve seen. I do think there is a reasonable gap in standard though as you’re not in a full time environment and players are working long days before going to training etc.

Wollongong is often touted as a expansion city for the A - League. What are your thoughts on this?


Very similar to Townsville as I believe we could definitely have a team one day here in the A-league. Again I think financially would be the biggest hurdle. It’s hard to find the $dollars to run a club. We have always and still are producing good players, we have over 10 000 junior players in the area and we have the facilities. Hopefully one day it will happen.

Would you bring them back the Wollongong wolves or South Coast?


I’m big on the Wolves brand as it has so much proud history and is still recognisable around the country.

You now have your own soccer academy business called soccerman can you tell us a little more about it?


SoccerMan is a fun soccer program designed for boys and girls aged 2-5 years old within preschools and at a venue. I and my brother who is a qualified childcare worker started the program about a year ago in the Illawarra area. Our Mum has owned a Childcare center for 15 years so we have grown up in that environment. When I used to visit the school all the children would call me ‘SoccerMan’ because I’d always have a kick around the yard with them. So with my brothers early childhood education and my soccer background, we decided to start the venture.

Our sessions are focused on children having fun while improving their coordination, balance and movement. We incorporate simple learning concepts such as numbers, colours, letters, shapes, animals and music.
We also run programs in primary schools for the elder age group. The SoccerMan program encourages a fun and happy environment while promoting an active and healthy lifestyle for children.


Are the participation numbers in football with young kids still high?


Very much so. It’s the most participated sport at junior level for boys and girls and I think that will only continue to grow.

Where can we find out more about soccerman ?


You can visit our website at http://www.soccerman.net.au/ . Or you can visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/soccerman4kids



You then moved on to the expansion franchise the NQ Fury, describe life as an A-league footballer in Townsville?





No comments:

Post a Comment