Monday 25 March 2013

A sit down with Andrew Barisic

Andrew Barisic has achieved what many young football fans only dream of. Eight years living the life of a professional footballer, stints in Europe, Asia and our very own A - League is a big achievement for the 6 ft 2 striker from the nations capital. As we talk to Andrew via twitter and email from his base in Kolkata India, you just know he seems a nice guy. You sense that typical Croatian / Aussie mentality of never wanting to give up. You have to give it to Andrew for going outside his comfort zone, testing his ability in countries many of his peers would never entertain. We talk everything from Clive Palmer to India's I - League, I hope you all enjoy our chat with Andrew Barisic as much we did.


1. You started your career in the VPL with Melbourne Knights - why did you go the VPL and not the NSWPL being a Canberra boy ?.

After my return from my stint in Germany, I was approached straight away by Melbourne Knights through my agent. Due to it being a Croatian based club and my background being Croatian it felt like a perfect match. I was also drawn to Melbourne Knights through their history of previous players and the careers they had gone on to have.

2. In saying that we here tremendous things about the VPL?.

The VPL is definitely one of the best state leagues in Australia and a stepping stone to a Professional career.

3. You then moved to Germany, looking back was that the right move for you?.

I don’t regret the move as I gained a lot of experiences that I wouldn’t normally have experienced in Australia, such as the professionalism. At that stage of my move to Germany, there was a transition that wasn’t completely formed from NSL to the A-League which meant a one year break of professional football. 

4. What do you think was the best thing you learnt in Germany?.

I was extremely fortunate to have Joe Simunic mentor me throughout my time in Germany. This gave me a completely different insight on football both on and off the field. He showed me many ways to handle the game professionally and mentally.

5. Then we all got to know you from your stint at Gold Coast United, there was a lot of talk about the club, as a player what was it really like, did you really use Clive's private jet for away games?.


I was really excited when I initially signed at GCU. My time there had a lot of highs and lows. We had a fantastic team of players that was capable of winning and succeeding greatly both on the Australian and Asian football stage. Off the field, things distracted the players and with not knowing their futures or standings for them and their families proved to be costly. We were lucky enough to use Mr Palmer jet both Internationally and Interstate for games and aspects like this made us feel very well looked after by Mr Palmer.

6. What did the players think about the support on the Gold Coast, was it hard to turn up for games sometimes?.

It is never hard to give your everything for a game and at that stage I was yet to play in Asia and realize true support for the game. Football has a lot of growing to do in Australia to reach a true fan based support, which I think western Sydney Wanderers is the only team that are fortunate to have this support at the moment.

7. Where do you think Clive and GCU went wrong?.

I believe there is a lot of misunderstanding of the politics of football off the field which in turn effects the football on the field.

8. What about the Mitch Cooper debacle did Miron get that wrong?.

At that time I had left to play in Indonesia and therefore did not see every aspect of what went on behind closed doors. As an outsider I thought the pressure given to such a young player as well as all the other drama at the club was a poor decision and not healthy for the players.

9. If done properly could An A- League team survive on the Gold Coast?.

Definitely.

10. Being a Canberra boy, could a A- League team in Canberra be successful?.

Definitely. I was actually extremely excited when the talk started of a Canberra A-League team. A lot of good players have come out of Canberra and it would be a fantastic opportunity to give back to the place where it all began for many.

11. Onto your time in Indonesia , you scored goals for fun did you enjoy your time there?.


After a hard time at GCU I was so happy and thankful to finally have a team believe in me and showcase my capabilities. This made it a happy time for me and aloud me to take my football to the next level.

12. What was Indonesia like to live?.

We were fortunate to be very well looked after by the club as well as playing in the second largest Indonesian city, therefore it was a fairly easy transition. 

13. Now you play in India for the east Bengal Lions, we here great things about Indian football how does it compare to your previous clubs?.


The biggest difference between both my Indonesian and Indian club compared to my time in Australia is the loyalty and passion of the fans towards the game and players. As Sepp Blatter stated “Indian football is a sleeping giant”, which I agree with and am excited with talks of a football version of the IPL.  

14. Culturally have you found it hard?.

At times it can definitely be challenging. One thing ive learnt in football is that it doesn’t matter if your playing in Germany or India, without family and your usual comforts of home it can always be difficult at times but you always have to do your best to adapt and be as comfortable and happy as possible so that you can enjoy the game you love and play your best. 

15. There are a few Aussies plying there trade there now, it must be great as a professional footballer that there are more leagues available to you?.

Of course, with any profession the more opportunities there are the better off you will be in progressing your career.

16. Tolgay Ozbey has said he will most likely finish his career in India, are you on the same page as him?.

I am truly not sure as football can change daily. However, if Indian football keeps heading in the direction its following then that could definitely be an option. 

17. If an A League team came in for you would you consider returning home?.

I would never rule any opportunity out, however from what I have experienced in Asia it provides a far better opportunity to set myself and my family up for the future.

18. Plans after football?.

I am extremely thankful that the PFA have provided a scholarship program that allows me to undergo my Building and Construction license that helps me to set myself up for a career outside of football. I think it extremely important for players to invest smartly in there futures after football. I am currently undergoing several projects to make my transition an easy one.

Andrew plays every three days in a packed schedule in India, insidetheboxFC would like to sincerely thank him for taking the time to answer our questions. 

2 comments:

  1. As an EB die heart fan i wish u all the best for ur career.. Go Andrew go...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. I just want to say that it was a nice reading material. I hope you come out with more interesting posts, because I bookmarked your website. All the best. contractors license, construction license,elevator contractors license.

    ReplyDelete