Thursday 24 January 2013

Arthur Papas - Part 2

Here is part two of our exclusive chat with Arthur Papas.




Do you have an opinion on the best manager in the world?. (inside)

Not really because it’s such a broad term and what constitutes the best
is not in my opinion only about the coach winning championships. I
have just as much admiration for someone like David Moyes who
continues to have Everton over-achieving with a significantly smaller
budget than the big spenders in the EPL. Coaches I have admired are
those who have not had big playing careers because it resonates with
my own background and provides motivation to continue the path I have
chosen. When coaches such as Arrigo Sacchi, Jose Mourinho and
Andre Villas Boas can have such profound success in the highest levels
of Europe surely an unknown Australian at some stage can appear in
our country and have an impact! (AP)

What about the A league who is the best coach?. (inside)

Right at this moment in time based on their respective domestic
successes over the past couple seasons it has to be Ange Postecoglou
and Graham Arnold. Their teams play contrasting styles but together
they have set a benchmark both on and off the field as people first, and
coaches second. (AP)



Who do you think shows the most promise in the youth ranks in the A -
League?. (inside)

I prefer not commenting on young players individually because I think
it’s something that gets thrown around too easy, sometimes to the
detriment of the player. I’ve been fortunate to work with a whole host of
top talented players either through the AIS, National Youth teams or in
the A-League and the certainty is that there is the quality there and it’s
just a matter of when they get identified, in what environment they
develop and if they are given the opportunity at the correct time. (AP)

There is a debate out their that the A - League recycles managers /
coaches, do you agree with that?. (inside)

I think in every league you could form the same debate if you wished to.
Reality is there are minimal positions at A-League level and I can
understand that when looking for a new coach that there are only a
handful with A-League Head Coach experience, therefore if you’re an
owner you are limited if this is what you seek and you must turn to
coaches who have this background. 

I do believe though that there is more risk involved by employing someone as Head Coach who has only been an Assistant Coach at A League level rather than someone who has coupled this with a Head Coach position in the State Leagues and been successful. There is still so much unknown by going down this path based on my previous experiences. That is why I went about taking on a team as a Head Coach in the VPL because you only really know about your capabilities to lead a team by being placed in situations where you have to make decisions on a daily basis. This does not occur to the same intensity when you’re an Assistant Coach. This is why proven coaches in the VPL such as Chris Taylor who has won Coach of the Year twice and Ian Dobson who was successful in the NSL and VPL should not be so easily overlooked when positions are available. It’s a bit of a shame that the door has in a way been closed to some of these coaches because they are very talented and still have a lot to offer!. (AP)

With your Greek back ground is the Greek super league on your radar?. (inside)

My Greek heritage is something I am proud of and to coach in Greece
at some stage is definitely an ambition of mine. I grew up supporting
Panathinaikos and my favorite player was Dimitris Saravakos so to think
that down the track I could get an opportunity to be part of the football
culture is exciting. I am realistic that this is not something that will
happen easily but I have a attitude of ‘believing everything is possible’
so why not harbor thoughts to reach this level in the future. (AP)

In three years time where would you like to be professionally?. (inside)

Planning for me is now not as easy as it was when I was starting out. At
this stage I knew that gaining the best education was the absolute
priority and I placed all efforts into this area of my profession because
as long as you receive the correct education you go a long way to
ensuring you will have a certain level. I was able to do this by
completing all my tertiary studies, gaining practical experiences under
some very good coaches and working within the AIS and A-League. If I
had to now sit back and write this whole pathway out for an aspiring
young coach I wouldn’t change a thing so in terms of my pathway it has
been everything I needed.

Unfortunately you can reach a stage as well that it depends more on
whom you know rather than what you know, I have had to learn this and
have matured because of this. Moving forward as an individual I can’t
worry for that and all I can do is keep proving to myself over and over
because that internal fulfillment is what makes me feel satisfaction. I’m
proud of what I have accomplished and how I have kept persevering to
be the best I can be day in day out. I knew the moment I started this journey that I would have to work harder than anyone else and for the whole time I’ve stayed true to
myself, those closest to me only know the amount of sacrifices I have
had to make and without sacrifice there is no means to success! (AP)

We would like to thank Arthur one last time, all the best in your future endeavours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment